I am an experienced reporter covering business, finance and politics. Currently, I focus on business and finance in the UK. Before that, I reported on China; the rise of China; international companies and their performance in China and Chinese companies expanding abroad. In addition, I covered business in Asia, the US and the UK; Social Media; future technologies and their impact on development.
At the age of 18, I started working as a freelancer for the local newspaper Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung in my hometown Osnabrueck in Germany – a small town in Lower Saxony. Not much to report on, to be honest. For that reason, I moved on and interned at Bild-Zeitung in Berlin, dpa News Agency in Münster and Hannover, Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger in Cologne, at WELT am Sonntag in Berlin, ZDF Television in Mainz, ARD German Television in Washington DC, USA TODAY in McLean Virginia and at FFN, a local radio station in Osnabrück.
From 2005 to 2009, I studied Political Science, Modern History and American Studies at Bonn University in Germany and Georgetown University in the US. My studies were supported by Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Germany (KAS) and the Fund for American Studies (TFAS) in Washington DC. During the time of my studies, I worked as a freelance reporter for WELT am Sonntag in Berlin and Duesseldorf, Handelsblatt, Zeit Online and Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger. In addition, I received three years of journalistic training at Institut zur Förderung publizistischen Nachwuchses (ifp) in Munich in Germany.
I got my Magister degree in 2009. My thesis dealt with strategies in the Presidential Campaign in the US in 2008. The research for this was conducted in Washington DC while I was spending a semester at Georgetown University. From 2009 to 2011, I worked at WELT-Group in Berlin, mostly in the business and finance department. Since 2011, I am an editor and continue working as a business reporter. I am skilled in producing stories for print, online, radio and television. A recent example for my reporting in English is the story “China and North Korea: Close, but so far these days” that I filed for USA TODAY in 2013.
Besides my journalistic work, I did a double masters degree in Media and Global Communications at London School of Economics (LSE) and Fudan University in Shanghai. The degree ended in July 2013. Since August 2013, I work as a UK business correspondent for DIE WELT in London.
On November 29th, 2012, I was awarded the Georg von Holtzbrinck Preis für Wirtschaftspublizistik (Kategorie Nachwuchs), one of the major prizes for business reporting in Germany. I received the prize for a story on the growing amount of pig meat exports from Germany to China. Interestingly enough, the Chinese cherish what Europeans label as “waste”: snouts, trouts, bones and tails. In many Chinese households, these parts of the pig are considered delicacies. Thanks to this, German meat exporters benefit hugely from China´s increasing demand for meat. Unfortunately, there is no English translation of “Chinas Lust auf deutsches Schwein” yet.
- RT @R_Wall : Airbus completes once-in-a-generation executive rank overhaul with naming of new CFO, commercial airplane COO https://t.co/M2J… 53 minutes ago
- Last night on @BBCNewsnight . #talkingbrexit Credit: @fretwellb https://t.co/XswGbslhId 15 hours ago
- It won't be a boring job, that's for sure. https://t.co/2XgSadIAeV … @WSJ @CFOJournal #Renault #Ghosn 15 hours ago
- RT @CFOJournal : Renault's next leader would face the challenging task of boosting corporate governance while steering a company that has be… 15 hours ago
- American Factories Are Burning Through Inventories https://t.co/4PDrwJCbF1 via @WSJ 22 hours ago
- BoE brings forward bank stress test results due to Brexit deal https://t.co/SPha41kwyn 23 hours ago
- RT @BBCNewsnight : TONIGHT: We’ll be taking a look at the comment and column pieces in tomorrow’s newspapers with Nina Trentmann from the Wa… 2 days ago
- Volkswagen mit Mega-Auftritt am Bondmarkt https://t.co/zBBWg4Sysp 2 days ago
- RT @CFOJournal : In today's Ledger: A long run of favorable borrowing conditions might come to an end for American corporates, J. Crew's CEO… 2 days ago
- RT @alexfrangos : The great Brexit corporate hedge. https://t.co/ChJsJA1jW4 via @Nina_Trentmann 2 days ago