I am an experienced reporter covering business, finance and politics. Currently, I focus on business and finance in the UK. Before that, I reported on China; the rise of China; international companies and their performance in China and Chinese companies expanding abroad. In addition, I covered business in Asia, the US and the UK; Social Media; future technologies and their impact on development.
At the age of 18, I started working as a freelancer for the local newspaper Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung in my hometown Osnabrueck in Germany – a small town in Lower Saxony. Not much to report on, to be honest. For that reason, I moved on and interned at Bild-Zeitung in Berlin, dpa News Agency in Münster and Hannover, Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger in Cologne, at WELT am Sonntag in Berlin, ZDF Television in Mainz, ARD German Television in Washington DC, USA TODAY in McLean Virginia and at FFN, a local radio station in Osnabrück.
From 2005 to 2009, I studied Political Science, Modern History and American Studies at Bonn University in Germany and Georgetown University in the US. My studies were supported by Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Germany (KAS) and the Fund for American Studies (TFAS) in Washington DC. During the time of my studies, I worked as a freelance reporter for WELT am Sonntag in Berlin and Duesseldorf, Handelsblatt, Zeit Online and Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger. In addition, I received three years of journalistic training at Institut zur Förderung publizistischen Nachwuchses (ifp) in Munich in Germany.
I got my Magister degree in 2009. My thesis dealt with strategies in the Presidential Campaign in the US in 2008. The research for this was conducted in Washington DC while I was spending a semester at Georgetown University. From 2009 to 2011, I worked at WELT-Group in Berlin, mostly in the business and finance department. Since 2011, I am an editor and continue working as a business reporter. I am skilled in producing stories for print, online, radio and television. A recent example for my reporting in English is the story “China and North Korea: Close, but so far these days” that I filed for USA TODAY in 2013.
Besides my journalistic work, I did a double masters degree in Media and Global Communications at London School of Economics (LSE) and Fudan University in Shanghai. The degree ended in July 2013. Since August 2013, I work as a UK business correspondent for DIE WELT in London.
On November 29th, 2012, I was awarded the Georg von Holtzbrinck Preis für Wirtschaftspublizistik (Kategorie Nachwuchs), one of the major prizes for business reporting in Germany. I received the prize for a story on the growing amount of pig meat exports from Germany to China. Interestingly enough, the Chinese cherish what Europeans label as “waste”: snouts, trouts, bones and tails. In many Chinese households, these parts of the pig are considered delicacies. Thanks to this, German meat exporters benefit hugely from China´s increasing demand for meat. Unfortunately, there is no English translation of “Chinas Lust auf deutsches Schwein” yet.
- RT @fretwellb : Thank you Germany, Lower Saxony (for a while). Off to adventures new (for a while) They still fly the flag for me when visit… 1 week ago
- Aging nuclear reactors, soaring debt and large capital-spending commitments that generate are just some of the prob… https://t.co/YeT5vlSsPU 2 weeks ago
- Thanks @VFritzNews @bccworldnews for having me this morning! 2 weeks ago
- Up early for a live for @bbcworldservice @BBCWorld . We’ll be discussing Iran & oil, the Conservative leadership rac… https://t.co/ETTNxkTESa 2 weeks ago
- How Washington Learned to Love Debt and Deficits https://t.co/lGFO3HICib 2 weeks ago
- RT @CFOJournal : A U.K. regulator fined and reprimanded PwC for shortfalls in its audits of a British service provider, following increased… 2 weeks ago
- Boeing 737 MAX Grounding Ripples Through Supply Chain https://t.co/IFY5u7frGM 2 weeks ago
- Brexit: UK firms 'not even close to ready' for no deal https://t.co/N7jVr6mKvb 2 weeks ago
- For Foreign Investment, the West Is Losing Its Appeal https://t.co/RBMaeYsfCG 2 weeks ago
- It’s all about #Brexit: At the Annual Dinner of the German-British Chamber of Industry & Commerce at Draper’s Hall… https://t.co/82ngNsLfqs 2 weeks ago